728x90 AdSpace

Latest News

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

‘Wild Man:’ 60 Years and Still Dancing

‘Wild Man:’ 60 Years and Still Dancing

Joe "Wild Man' Potier Zydeco Dancing for Over 40 Years


June 28, 2017

by Herman Fusilier
The Advertiser


Joe "Wild Man' Potier puts on his Zydeco moves at Festival International Sat, April 29, 2017.
(Photo Credit: Lee Celano) 

“I have pushed my body up to 16 hours dancing. When I get wet, I’m like a brand new man.”


“Wild Man” Potier brings extra sets of clothes as he sweats off 2-3 pounds during his weekly dance adventures. Potier recently celebrated his 64th birthday, which marks 60 years that he’s been dancing to zydeco music.


During those six decades, Potier has been featured in movies filmed in Louisiana, such as “Eve’s Bayou” and “Passion Fish” with Oscar-nominated actress Mary McDonnell. He’s the subject of a chapter in the 2004 book, “Dancing Away an Anxious Mind,” NPR journalist Robert Rand’s memoir about his battle with panic disorder.

A native of Parks, Potier learned to love music and dancing from his parents, Marie and Wilbert Potier. He danced for change at the Alton Ambrose Sno-Ball Stand, earning enough money to buy lunch and treats for his nine siblings. Those early moves later helped him become a student dancer with the renowned Southern University Marching Band.

Some of Potier’s most comical moves come from his day job. For 42 years, Potier has done social work and counseling with young children. Many are homeless, have disabilities or in wheelchairs.

After seeing him dance on TV or at a festival, the children taught him to act like he’s crying on the floor or twitch and shake his booty with arms in the air.


Joe "Wild Man' Potier puts on his Zydeco moves at the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival Sat, May 6, 2017. (Photo Credit: Lee Celano) 


“My greatest one is a handicapped girl in Lake Charles,” said Potier. “She dances in her wheelchair all the time.


“She likes zydeco so much, her parents bring her. She said, ‘Wild Man, I want to show you how to shake your booty too.’

“When she sees me, it’s like the Fourth of July. She’s full of smiles. She does everything for me, along with all my head start children.”

Potier has traveled to more than 500 cities to teach zydeco dancing. He emphasizes that students learn dance steps for enjoyment, not competition.

Potier enjoys dancing every Thursday through Sunday, from New Orleans to Houston. He makes sure to report to work at 7:30 a.m. Monday.

Connie G, Keith Frank and Chris Ardoin are among the entertainers he regularly follows. Many donate money to help him buy school supplies for his students.

At 64, Potier has no plans to slow down.

“I feel like I’m in my 20s. I have no body pains.

“I can’t ask for a better life. I have a good job. I work with children.

“I love all the disability children and homeless. All of that is part of who I am today.”


‘Wild Man:’ 60 Years and Still Dancing
  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Item Reviewed: ‘Wild Man:’ 60 Years and Still Dancing Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Rod Sias
Top